I have spoken publicly on global issues, language and innovation, and storytelling and fiction, both in French and English, to diverse audiences in a range of international settings. Below is a short list of my main interventions.
Global collaboration & the rise of China
- In March 2017, I opened a full-day program on the Sustainable Development Goals organised by the Asia Education Foundation with a presentation on global catastrophic risk & global governance.
- On 25 January 2017, at the Annual Meeting of the Australia Day Council, I offered an address on international hospitality to acknowledge my award as New Australian of the Year.
- In May 2016, I gave a talk on logical ambiguities in the concept of Global Catastrophic Risk at the Annual Meeting of the Global Challenges Foundation.
- In March 2016, I presented a seminar at the Sorbonne University on cultural collaboration in international contexts.
- In August 2014, I took part in a panel on Beijing at Melbourne Writers Festival.
- In June 2014, I sat on a panel about international entrepreneurship at Ecole Normale Superieure.
- In May 2014, I gave a presentation on ‘A Journey through the Chinese Internet’ at Sydney Ideas.
- On 16 November 2013, I presented at the Fondapol event ‘Le Progrès c’est nous’ (‘we are progress’) in Paris, on building multilingual communities in the digital space
- In May 2011, I spoke at the Melbourne Emerging Writers Festival about Australian stories competing in an international market as part of a panel on Going global.
- On 9 September, 2009, I spoke on the Joy FM Orange Ribbon program about my mixed European heritage and growing up as a gay man in Strasbourg.
Language & innovation
- In December 2016, I spoke about the ethics of translation in the context of technological disruption at a professional development session for translators & interpreters organised by NAATI and Monash University.
- In 2015-2016, I gave three lectures on collaborative translation with the Monash University Centre for Translation and Interpretation.
- In July 2016, I gave a presentation on resilience training in contexts of cultural and linguistic ambiguity at the Defence Force School of Languages in Laverton.
- In November 2015, I presented a new typology of digital language learning tools at the Language And Culture Network of University Conference.
- On 17 June 2012, I presented new ways to build literary collaboration in the digital space as part of the 2012 International Festival of Literature, Ideas and Language.
- On 5 June 2012, I spoke at the Feminist salon Cherchez la Femme, hosted by Karen Pickering, on the topic of Feminism and Language.
Storytelling & fiction
- In November 2016, I presented a guest lecture on storytelling to the Design and Social Impact Leadership.
- From 2014 to 2016, I acted as ambassador for the Asia Education Foundation – using storytelling to inspire a love of Asian languages in primary & secondary schools.
- In 2014, I co-hosted a storytelling group and shared a monthly story.
- In February 2011, I interviewed French writer Yannick Haenel at Alliance Francaise de Melbourne on his book The Messenger, exploring the literary (re)construction of historical events and personal memory.
- In May 2010, I spoke at the Melbourne Emerging Writers Festival about the problematic label of ‘gay writer’ as part of a panel on Tyecasting.
- In July 2009, I was invited to the Dunas Festival in Gran Canaria to speak about writing Young Adult fiction for a queer audience.